Thursday 5 February 2009

Mass substrate cultivation - Straw + Cakes

So I've done this now , this is the first time I've used straw in this way but I think I've got the method down. Here's what I did.

Bought one large bag of straw from the garden centre, half filled 2 pillow cases with said straw.

Boiled a half pan of water added 2 tablespoons of gypsum ( available from brewers shops )

Submerge one pillow case in the pan and boil for an hour. Beware unless you wash your straw first it will start to stink like shit after 15 minutes. I mean really fucking stink.

Sit the pillow case on a collander on your back step, draining board or whatever and boil t'other.

Once both bags have been pasturised and cooled empty them both into a large heavy duty clear bin bag.

Crush up afew PF cakes in a bag as described in the casing method, add this spawn to the straw and aggitate to spread spawn around.

Press this bag into a large storage box with a lid and leave it somewhere dark to colonize.

I'm actually keeping it at just under 25C , a temperature less favourable to trichoderma. Colonization will still occur just a little slower, I always have several terrariums going so I'm hardley ever in a rush to fruit.

Personally I prefer to incubate at a slightly cooler temperature, most ppl will prolly disagree but thats how I work and I don't suffer failures.

Lemme know if theres anything imparticular you want to know about want looking into, I'm always trying new methods and teks, and doing my best to improve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment